CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sweet Home Sunday! {DIY Homemade Liquid Hand Soap}


Ahh, it's Sunday again! Since my last DIY homemade recipe came out so well, I thought I'd try another: homemade liquid hand soap. I can usually get hand soap at Walgreens or CVS but since I already had the ingredients I thought I might as well try it. 

I guess liquid hand soap making isn't exciting for dogs


Here's the recipe:
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
1 bar of soap
water

Directions: Grate the bar of soap. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the soap; stir to melt. Continue stirring until fully combined. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes then stir again. Allow to cool for another several hours. Stir to check the consistency. If it seems too runny, reheat and add more soap. If it seems too thick, reheat and add more water. Then you can add essential oil and coloring, if desired. Pour into dispensers. 


I got the 3 pk. of Dial Basics Hypo Allergenic soaps. They cost around $1.25. I'm a fan of Dial anyways and the bars were small so it was less grating for me, which I like. My soap was scented but if you want to personalize your soap with your own essential oils then make sure you buy fragrance free soaps. 


Besides getting to watch how to properly pour your soap flakes (lol) you also get a glimpse of one of my tattoos. It probably depends on which soap you use but the 4 cups they recommend was not enough for mine. If you use the same soap that I did, use more around 6 cups of water. 


The soap all mixed up and melted in the water. Also, use a whisk instead of a spoon like I did. It breaks up the soap much better. 


My soap! I ended up with a lot more than I planned on so I poured my extra into old spaghetti sauce jars. Before pouring into your own dispensers, use your whisk to break up any little bits of soap that might be there otherwise it'll clog your pump. 

The Cost
The one soap bar I used cost me about 42 cents. I got that pitcher out of it which will fill about 7 of my old soap dispensers. 

Why I Love This
First of all, because its cheaper than buying it. You can make the soap smell and look exactly how you want with adding essential oils and food coloring. If you go crazy experimenting and you don't like it, you didn't lose a lot of money. 

Gift Ideas
And for those of us that are already thinking about Christmas coming up, its a sweet gift idea. Make a batch of this soap, add their favorite scents or colors, pour into a Mason jar and add a ribbon. If you want a sleeker look you can buy soap dispensers. I like giving people gifts that are homemade and that they can actually use. 

Happy Sunday! xx Brittany



3 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! You are right this would make for great gifts!

    Thanks for linking up today for the Say Hi Sunday blog hop! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great site! I am a new follower. I hope you'll visit and follow my blog.
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com and on face book at http://www.facebook.com/MyLife.OneStoryataTime

    Look forward to visiting here.
    Thanks, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!! I'm becoming more interested in homemade products because I can be sure what's in them. I've been wondering how to make soap. Thanks!!
    I'm also a new gfc follower of your blog from the Fun Tuesday Hop.

    ReplyDelete