CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Herd of Book Nerds {Save $$ Tips}

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." -Cicero

Many people have said that happiness is having something to look forward to. For me, its when I get an email every two weeks reminding me that my library books are due back. Our local library is only 4 streets away from our home. Lucky, I know! But I am well aware that not everyone shares my loves of books. Including the love of my life, my boyfriend, who hates books. I love books and he hates them, how does that work? Opposites attract, I guess.

Wait- I take that back. He does enjoy cooking so he likes cookbooks. Does that count? But I did buy him a Julia Child cookbook and he has *yet to try a recipe. {Note to self: no cookbooks this year from Santa}

The first question most people ask when someone says they read is, "What's your favorite book?"
My answer has been the same since I was in high school and I'm pretty sure will always remain, The Great Gatsby.
So much so that when I noticed the picture of the books' cover on the wall at Barnes & Noble, I started figuring out a plan to get it out the front door. {lol} Since it is a well-known book, I won't bother going into the details of the story. I'm sure you know. If not, I'm sure your cousin or best friend does.

My second favorite would be Freakonomics. That book is so thought provoking and gives you a different view on everyday issues. Be warned though: it does deal with some sensitive issues that might bother someone who is not very open-minded.

Even if you are not a fan of books there are still reasons why you should stop by and check out your local library. With all that libraries have to offer, you can save yourself money!

Save Money {$$} by Visiting your Local Library

Movies: We don't use this service but there are usually a lot of movies {new & old} that can be rented. If you've cut back on your movie night to save money, head to the library to pick up a dvd and have a stay-in movie night.

Exercise: There's a big selection of workout dvd's at my library which saves me from having to pay for a gym membership. And I get a new workout each week which keeps me from getting bored with my workout {which is one of my downfalls!} Also, I don't have to go and be sweaty in front of strangers which is a plus for me.

Internet & Computer Use: I also don't use this service but every time I'm at the library all the computers are being used. I believe that the time is limited for each user but for people that don't have Internet service that are looking for employment or kids who needs to do school assignments, its a really good resource.

Magazines: I absolutely used to be a huge magazine junkie. And then somehow I got smart and just started pulling out the articles from the magazines I wanted and kept them in a binder instead of keeping the whole magazine. And then I realized how much I was spending on magazines that just got thrown away. So check out the magazines that your library offers. Of course, you can't pull apart the magazines you borrow from the library! But if you have a printer/copier/scanner you can do what I do and copy the page out of the magazine. You get to read the magazine and keep the articles that you like.

Local Events: Your local library will most likely have a lot of fliers and pamphlets about the events going on in your city. Some of them might even have coupons or deals inside them.

And, of course- Books: For people that think books aren't really their 'thing', I suggest going to the library and just looking around at all the genres. There are so many different kinds of books out there I doubt that there is one that doesn't suit your interests. And, if your library is like mine and linked to others in the area- you can go online and request items from other libraries. They will then send it to your library for you to check out without having to make the drive.

I will admit that the biggest money saving advantage here is that if you hate the book or magazine or movie- it's only borrowed and you haven't wasted any money on it. You get to just return it and try again. And try, try again.

*I was not financially compensated for this post. The opinions are completely my own based on my observations while reading the above mentioned books. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment