CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 29, 2011

Update on 'Sweet Home Sunday' Homemade Laundry Recipe!

Back to share my update on making the homemade liquid laundry detergent. If you didn't see my post with the laundry recipes, you can check it out here!

The Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent


These are the only ingredients I needed, besides water. I've heard that other people had problems finding them but they were all at my local grocery store a block away :)
20 Mule Team Borax $3.74
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda $2.89
Fels-Naptha Soap Bar $1.09



The first step is to grate the bar of soap. I used a hand grater like you'd use for cheese. That was a freaking pain! I'd suggest using a coffee grinder or something else that doesn't kill your wrist in the process. I also used a washcloth to hold the soap while I grated because it was slippery. My first time using a cheese grater when I was young- I ended up scuffing all my knuckles. Lesson learned. 



After mixing it all up and letting it sit it was time to bottle it up. The bad news was that I had recycled all but 1 of our old laundry jugs so I had to get creative. I ended up bottling it in old washer fluid bottles and my boyfriends tea jugs. I came up a little short so the rest is staying stored in the 5 gallon bucket.

We have a top load washer so I used 1/2 cup per load as the recipe says. I was a little nervous so I tested it out on some extra blankets we have. Beyond excited when they came out! They were clean! The weird thing about this is that it doesn't get sudsy. So don't freak out when you throw it in the washer and don't see bubbles everywhere. It also doesn't have much of a smell but that can be changed if you use scented fabric softener. 

I'm even thinking about making extra batches just to give to my family. {What a lucky family I have!} It is so cheap and works! From this one recipe you get 10 gallons of detergent! Makes you wonder why they charge so much for it in a store. This is a great thing to try because you'll save money and reduce waste because you can re-use your containers.

Try it out and let me know what you think! For the next Sweet Home Sunday I'll be trying another homemade recipe. Come back and check it out! xx Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment